News & Articles

H1B Transfer Denied: Top Rejection Reasons and Alternatives

H1B Transfer Denial Title Image

If you have submitted a petition for H-1B visa transfer, you may be worried that it will be denied. While working alongside a qualified attorney can help alleviate these fears, it helps to know the possibilities. There are numerous contributing factors for an H-1B transfer denial by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Premium processing has been suspended for all cap-subject petitions for the 2019 fiscal year. The suspension will take place April 2, 2018 and continue until September 10, 2018. To read more about this suspension and how it affects your case, read our premium processing suspension update.

Some of the common reasons for denials that affect both the petitioner (employer) and the beneficiary (employee) are as follows:

1. The Petitioner’s (U.S. Employer) Requirements

Often times petitions for an H-1B employee are denied based on insufficient submissions demonstrating that the petitioning United States employer is an established and operating entity in the United States with the ability to hire, pay and provide sufficient specialty occupation work to the H-1B employer.

In order to avoid a negative adjudication, it is important for an employer to provide tax documentation, company financial statements, active contracts that demonstrate sufficient specialty occupation work, property lease information and photographs of the premises.

A property lease and photographs will demonstrate that the U.S. employer is an established operating entity and that there is sufficient work space to accommodate and complete the specialty occupation.

2. The Employee’s Lack of Specialized Knowledge

A key requirement for H-1B approval is providing sufficient proof that the proffered position is a “specialty occupation” that requires a bachelor’s degree or an employee to have “specialized knowledge.” This is a two-prong test that requires the beneficiary to provide evidence that he or she possesses a bachelor’s degree in the field of employment (specialized knowledge).

In addition, the employee must demonstrate that the specialized knowledge he/she possesses is directly related to the job offered.

Furthermore, in addition to providing proof that the employee is the recipient of a bachelor’s degree, it is recommended that applications be supplemented with evidence of the employee’s resume and experience letters from previous employers to avoid unnecessary denials or requests for evidence.

3. Insufficient Proof of Employer/Employee Relationship

An H-1B employer is required to designate a work site or location where the H-1B beneficiary will work. If an employee will be working at an off-site location, USCIS requires the employer to provide proof that the H-1B employee will be managed and “controlled” by the Petitioning Employer and the subcontracting company (third party worksite) shall have no authority over (hire, fire, payment of salary) the H-1B beneficiary.

In order to avoid a denial based on a lack of proof demonstrating a valid employer/employee relationship, you should submit an H-1B application with the following proof/evidence: Work contract agreements between the H-1B petitioner and third-party worksite.

These contractual agreements must clearly articulate that the petitioning employer shall have sole control (hire, fire, payment of salary) of the H-1B beneficiary. Additional evidence can include but not be limited to: information about the type of work to be completed and pay statements directly from the petitioning employer to the beneficiary – establishing a clear chain of command and employer/employee relationship.

4. Insufficient Fees Filed

While this may seem self-explanatory, recent changes to the filing fees can easily catch you off guard and result in an H-1B transfer denial. Keeping up-to-date with the current laws and regulations can help you prevent any unnecessary delays or roadblocks.

Firstly, it is important to note that the basic filing fee for the I-129 petition has increased from $325 to $460. Any transfer petition filed after December 23, 2016 without sufficient payment will be denied.

It is also very important to note that the relatively recent Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 (Public Law 114-113) has increased the additional H-1B fee from $2,000 to $4,000. This fee only applies if you employ more than 50 employees where more than half are H-1B visa holders.

5. Employer Unable to Pay Prevailing Wage

The Department of Labor defines the prevailing wage as the “average wage paid to similarly employed workers in a specific occupation in the area of intended employment.” Employers usually file a prevailing wage request to the National Prevailing Wage Center or use the Online Wage Library to find out what the prevailing wage is for your occupation in your county.

If your employer is unable or unwilling to pay this wage, then you will get your H-1B transfer denied. This is because your wages must not be detrimental to the wages and working conditions of other workers in your area.

6. Past Violations of Immigration Law

It goes without saying that, while your original H-1B petition may have been approved, any violations of immigration law on the part of either you or your employer can cause any transfers or extensions to be denied. This can be because

  • You have been considered “out of status”
  • You have not maintained the qualifications for an H-1B visa (e.g. no longer working in specialty position related to your degree)
  • You have committed a crime in the United States that makes your immigration status void.
  • Your employer has fraudulently taken advantage of the immigration system or has otherwise violated immigration law.

If you believe that this may be an issue concerning your case, it is very important to work closely with your immigration attorney to determine the best steps to take to help prevent getting your H-1B transfer denied.

7. Improper Delivery

Some of the more common mistakes that petitioners make when filing for an H-1B transfer is sending the documents and payments to the wrong service center or using an un-bonded delivery service.

To avoid this, be sure to check all dates and signatures as well as your assigned service center. You should also refrain from delivering the documents by hand or through any other unofficial method. Always use one of the officially bonded delivery services such as UPS, FedEx, or USPS.

Can You Get Your H-1B Transfer Denied After LCA Approval?

The approval of a Labor Certification Application (LCA) is based on the Department of Labor while your transfer petition is adjudicated by the USCIS. Because of this, one entity is not contingent on the other. This means that one can be approved while the other is denied.

If you find your H-1B transfer denied after your LCA has been approved, then this may be an issue with how you have maintained your status in the past. This can include violations of immigration or civil law by either you or your employer prior to your H-1B transfer petition.

What to Do After Denial

If your petition for H-1B transfer is denied, there are several steps that can be taken to go around this depending on the reason for the denial:

  • Your employer can file a different I-129 petition on your behalf. In order to find supporting evidence to subvert the previous transfer denial, it is best to seek the counsel of a qualified immigration attorney.
  • If your transfer petition was denied because of improper documentation or a payment problem, you may be able to refile and seek approval provided that the mistake has been fixed.
  • If your employer will not file another petition on your behalf, you may want to consider seeking an employer who will file. 

Unfortunately, your denial letter will likely contain a statement that makes appealing your H-1B transfer denial impossible. However, you may be able to file a legal motion to have your case reopened or reconsidered.

  • Motion to reopen – this is used when new evidence has come to light and you believe that, if the evaluating officer were to reopen your case with this new evidence, a different decision might be made.
  • Motion to reconsider – this is only used if you believe that the evaluating officer was wrong in his or her decision to deny your H-1B transfer.

Keep in mind that these are both delicate legal procedures that should not be attempted without the help of an experienced immigration attorney.

H-1B Denial Grace Period

If you are attempting to transfer your petition and your transfer is denied, you will have until the departure date on your I-94 arrival/departure card. If your employment is terminated before your H-1B validity period is over, you will have a 60-day grace period with which to find new employment, change your status to a new visa, or leave the country.

If you are still in the U.S. after your departure date, you will be at a serious risk of being considered “out of status”, which could result in you being barred from further entry into the U.S.

Transferring from Cap-Exempt to Cap-Subject

One question we often get is this: can someone apply for an H-1B through a cap-exempt employer and, once in the U.S., simply transfer to a cap-subject employer to avoid the lottery? The answer to that question is no.

If you enter the U.S. by petitioning for an H-1B under a cap-exempt employer (such as a university or a government research program), you can only transfer your H-1B status to other cap-exempt employers without counting against the cap. As soon as you attempt to transfer your status to a cap-subject employer, your petition will be entered into the lottery, which means that you need to file the petition on April 1st with everyone else.

Premium Processing

Fortunately, you can use premium processing for your H-1B transfer petition. By filing an I-907 along with your H-1B petition, you can shorten your petition’s processing time from the usual average of six months to just 15 calendar days. This service is completely optional and you will also be responsible for the $1,225 fee.

How Our Immigration Attorneys Can Help

In most instances, USCIS will provide a request for evidence (RFE) prior to adjudicating an application for H-1B Transfer. This allows the employer to correct the problems or provide the evidence requested by USCIS.

Requests for evidence shall contain a list of requested documents in addition to a deadline for submission. Failure to provide the requested evidence or failure to respond within the allotted time-frame – shall result in a denial of the H-1B Transfer application.

It is important that applicants and petitioners for H-1B Transfers consult with an immigration attorney prior to filing an application for Transfer or responding to a Request for Evidence.

Feel free to fill out this contact form to find out if you qualify for a free consultation.

Comments are closed.