Acquiring citizenship through marriage is a decision that has to be carefully made. With so many categories of visas available, you need to methodically review the eligibility requirements of each one to determine the best option. The two visas we compare on this page are the fiancé(e) visa and spouse visa. While they both have their individual characteristics and benefits, there are significant differences between the fiancé(e) visa vs spouse visa. If you are unsure of which one suits you best, then we can help you decided on the best course of action. Get started today!

Getting a Green Card for Your Loved Ones is Easy and Simple with VisaNation

Start Now

Fiancé(e) Visa vs Spouse Visa/Marriage Visa

As a U.S. citizen, you can bring your fiancé(e) to the United States with the intention to marry and live here with a fiancé(e) K-1 visa. With the K-1 visa, the foreign fiancé(e) will be able to travel to the U.S. and marry their sponsor within the 90-day window. Afterward, the foreign citizen can apply for an adjustment of status to become a legal permanent resident (LPR) with USCIS. One advantage of the K-1 visa is that the process is relatively fast and typically speedier than a K-3 or CR-1/IR-1 visa (for married individuals). The fiancé(e) visa process is about 6 months and becoming a permanent resident thereafter takes about 10.5 months.

Spouse visas on the other hand offer two possible options: IR-1 or CR-1 and K-3 visas. You can bring your spouse to the U.S. by way of a Petition for Alien Relative, I-130 or nonimmigrant visa (K-3). A “spouse” is defined as the legally wedded husband or wife, including same-sex spouses of U.S. citizens and LPRs. In some cases, common-law spouses may qualify for the same benefits. On average it can take around 10 months for these visas to process. Depending on your situation, it might be better to apply for one of the options. Start your immigration journey with VisaNation and let us take care of your application.

Comparison of Fiancé(e) Visa vs Spouse Visa/Marriage Visa

With both visas, you must demonstrate proof that you have a bona fide relationship. With a fiancé(e) visa, you must get married in the United States, whereas a K-3 spouse visa or CR-1/IR-1 marriage visas you must have been married outside the country. 

There are several deciding factors that come into play when choosing the right immigration option for you:

K-1 fiancé(e) visa is better if:

  • You want to have a wedding in the U.S.;
  • You are unable to get married abroad due to your spouse’s country’s laws or traditions; or
  • You want to benefit from faster processing times.

Marriage visa CR-1/IR-1 is better if:

  • You are on a budget. Marriage visas are relatively cheaper than the K-1 visa;
  • You want your spouse to become a lawful permanent resident when they arrive in the U.S.;
  • You are determined to have a wedding ceremony in the U.S.; or
  • You don’t mind waiting a little bit longer compared to K-1 visa.

K-3 spouse visa is for you if:

  • You want your spouse to be in the U.S. while their permanent resident application is being processed.

Get a Green Card for Your Partner with VisaNation

Start Now

Eligibility Comparison

It is crucial to compare eligibility requirements between the fiancé(e) visa and marriage visas. The eligibility criteria differ drastically between the two, which may play a big role as to which option is applicable to your situation.

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Requirements

Marriage Visa Requirements

Must be engaged to a U.S. citizen.

Must be married to a U.S. Citizen or a legal
permanent resident (green card holder).

The sponsor must have an income that is over 100% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Otherwise they will have to submit Form I-864 and Form I-864A.

The sponsor must have an income that is
over 125% of the Federal Poverty
Guidelines. Otherwise they will have to
submit Form I-864 and Form I-864A.

You must be intending to marry. The marriage must take place withing 90 days of spouse’s arrival. You will have to show evidence of your intent to Mary such as bookings for marriage ceremonies etc. As an additional requirement, you must have met your fiancé at least once in the past 2 years. This requirement can be waived if your meeting would cause extreme hardship to one of you.

You must provide a legitimate certificate
of marriage. This document will prove
your marital status to your U.S. citizen

You must provide evidence that your relationship with the U.S. citizen is legitimate. You should be able to provide evidence of trips that you have taken to see the spouse, photos where you are together, and any
form of recorded communication like internet
messages or mobile texts etc.

You must provide evidence that you are in
a legitimate marriage. You can do that by
showing a marriage certificate, having
assets in both of your names, and having
children together etc.

You should not be in any other marriage at the time of your immigration application. If you were previously married, you will need to provide evidence proving that that marriage has ended either by death of the spouse, divorce, or annulment.

Learn more about Form I-864 and Form I-864A.

Which is Faster–Fiancé(e) Versus Spouse Visa/Marriage Visa

We often get posed which visa is faster, spouse visa or fiancé(e) visa? While the process is very similar, the benefit of a fiancé(e) visa is that they can join you in the country much faster than with a spouse visa. 

  • K-1 fiancé(e) visa usually takes around 11 to 15 months to approve, from the moment of application to your fiancé(e) receiving the visa. After your marriage, it will take another 4 to 7 months for your spouse’s green card to process. Your fiancé(e) will be able to enter the U.S. and be with you while the green card is being processed.
  • CR-1 or IR-1 marriage visas must be applied through the consular processing scheme. It can take anywhere between 6 to 11 months to process these green cards. Your spouse won’t be able to enter the U.S. until their green card is approved.

Spouses Of Permanent Residents

In some cases, the spouse of a permanent resident will be on a waitlist until the visa or green card becomes available but this waiting period is shorter than other family immigration categories.

Bring Your Loved Ones to the U.S.

Start Now

Fiancé(e) Visa and Spouse/Marriage Visa Filing Fees

There are three major costs associated with a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. The Form I-129F has a filing fee of $535, plus $160 paid to the consulate, which adds up to $695 without accounting for other fees.

For the immigrant visa, there’s a filing fee of $535 for Form I-130, $325 to the consulate for the DS-260 application, and a financial support fee of $120. To adjust your status, it will cost $1,225 for the Form I-485 fee. Total government fees (not including attorney fees) therefore, come out between $980 and $1,760 depending on if you go through consular processing or adjustment of status. This total is without additional fees that usually come up. Any denials or rejections can lead to higher costs and additional wait time to bring your loved one to the U.S. VisaNation ensures that your application is prepared and submitted right the first time. Start your application today

Below is a comparison table of costs for a fiancé(e) visa and marriage visas  CR-1/IR-1. Keep in mind that the adjustment of status will also be required for K-1 visa holders.

K-1 Fiance Visa Costs

Marriage Visa Costs

$535 – Form I-129F filing fee

$535 – Form I-130 Filing Fee

$265 – NVC Visa Fee

$120 – Financial Support Form Fee

$1,140 – Form I-485 filing fee

$325 – NVC Processing Fee

$85 – Biometrics fee

$220 – USCIS Immigrant Fee

$695 – Consulate fee

$325 – Form DS-260 fee

$265 – Form DS-160 fee

$1,225 – Form I-485 for future adjustment of status

Total cost: $2,985

Total cost: $2,750

Income Requirement Differences–Marriage Visas

Regardless of whether you opt for a fiancé(e) or spouse visa, your income (petitioners) income level will be taken into consideration. If you first get married then petition for your spouse to enter the U.S., you need to demonstrate that your income isn’t below 125% of the poverty level. Afterward, when your spouse is applying for a green card through an adjustment of status, you’ll have to meet the higher 125% requirement.

Marriage-Based Green Cards

Getting a spouse visa is often a step along the road to a marriage-based green card. The only requirement for this green card is to have a legitimate marriage to a U.S. citizen and to be eligible for adjustment of status (meaning that you have not violated your status). Marrying a U.S. citizen is one of the best ways to get a green card due to the fact that you will be considered an “immediate relative” of the citizen, which holds benefits in that there is no annual limit for green cards for immediate relatives and you will not have to wait for a priority date to be current.

In fact, you can file the I-485 application to register permanent residence or adjust status at the same time that you file your I-130 for your nonimmigrant visa. It usually takes about six months for your I-485 to be processed, so filing them concurrently is the fastest method. During this time, you will likely receive a notice to come in for an interview. If you are outside the U.S. when you apply for your marriage-based green card, the interview will be mandatory.

Biometrics Appointment

Unless you are under the age of 14 or over the age of 78, you will need to appear for a specific appointment to have your biometrics taken. This involves having the USCIS collect your fingerprints, photos, and signature as well as perform background and security checks on you. Your appointment notice will be sent as a Form I-797C and will require you to go to an Application Support Center.

Complete Your Green Card Application Today

Start Now

Marriage-Based Green Card Interview

Many people grow concerned about their interview, but the interviewing officer is only trying to ferret out fraudulent marriages. If your relationship is legitimate, then you only need to speak confidently, clearly, and truthfully. Some questions you might be asked include:

  • What hobbies or interests do you and your spouse have in common?
  • When is your anniversary?
  • How are chores divvied up around the house?
  • When did your relationship turn romantic?
  • How long was it before you decided to get married?
  • Who proposed to whom?
  • Did you decide to have a long or short engagement? Why was this decision made?
  • When did you meet each other’s parents?
  • Where was the wedding venue?
  • Who were the bridesmaids and groomsmen at your wedding?
  • Where did you go for your honeymoon?
  • Have you ever been on vacation together? Where?
  • Do you attend a church or religious service? Where?
  • Do you plan on having children?
  • Do you have any children from previous marriages?

Remember to be honest. If you do not know the answer to a question, it is better to say “I don’t know” than to lie. Being denied your green card is a temporary inconvenience. Being caught in a lie can result in far more serious consequences.

If you have children that you would like to accompany you through your status, you can take advantage of the follow-to-join benefits, which will allow them to come with you without having to file a new petition for each child. You can apply for follow-to-join benefits by providing a copy of your green card, your approval notice, your I-130, and the I-797 Notice of Action.

If your application to adjust your status is approved or the consular officer approves your case, you will be issued your green card. However, if your marriage was less than two years old when approved, you will be issued a conditional 2-year green card. In order to remove the conditions and enjoy all of the benefits of the typical ten-year green card, you must file an I-751 form within 90 days before the end of that initial 2-year period. 

If you and your spouse divorce before that time, you may still be able to qualify to have your conditions removed by submitting a “good faith marriage waiver” to demonstrate that your marriage was not fraudulent and that the divorce was either necessary or out of your control.

Stokes Interviews

If the immigration officer detects red flags during the standard interview, you may be summoned to a second follow-up interview called a Stokes interview. During this interview, you and your spouse will be separated into different rooms and interviewed. You will be asked the same questions and your answers will be compared. 

For example, if you are asked when your first date was and your answers differ, you run the risk of failing the Stokes interview and having your visa denied. Knowing the questions that you may be asked ahead of time could help prepare you for the Stokes interview. These questions are often much more specific and difficult to coordinate.

Here is a short list of questions you might expect:

  • When and where did you first meet each other?
  • What types of food does your spouse enjoy most?
  • What types of vehicles have you owned together?
  • Who does most of the cleaning, cooking, and financial planning?
  • Do you own any pets? What kinds? What are their names?
  • How often do you eat at restaurants?
  • What do you both typically eat for breakfast?
  • What is your nightly routine before going to bed?
  • Who is your spouse’s cell phone provider?
  • What types of movies, music, or other entertainment do you both enjoy?

Red flags in your normal interview that could trigger a Stokes interview include avoiding answering questions, hesitating or answering nervously, or answering inconsistently. As long as you answer truthfully and confidently and your case is legitimate, you should have little risk of getting a Stokes interview.

Tips for Your Interview

Here are some ways you can optimize your chances of having a successful interview with the immigration officer and avoid red flags, delays, and denials:

  • Arrive at least half an hour before your appointment time. The earlier the better.
  • Avoid casual or immodest clothes. Always try to dress professionally.
  • Answer questions calmly and clearly. Nervousness or unease may raise red flags.
  • Avoid reciting memorized facts. It will be clear if you and your spouse have rehearsed your answers. Just answer truthfully.
  • Don’t forget the necessary documentation to validate your relationship.

At VisaNation, we are with our clients every step of the way. Get started today and find out how our attorneys can increase the chances of approval of your application.

Post Interview Process

If your interview goes well, then you will need to wait until the USCIS makes a decision on your I-130 petition. If it is approved, then you will receive notice of the action and your spouse’s passport will be sent back with the marriage-based green card inside. This will allow your spouse to enter the United States as an official permanent resident. If you enter your case number into this Case Status Database, you can check how your immigrant case is going.

Increase Your Family Green Card Approval Chances with VisaNation

Start Now

Fiancé(e) vs Spouse Visa Denial

Having a visa denied can be a difficult situation, but there are steps to take if this happens that may save your case. For both the fiancé(e) visa and spouse visa, denials work the same. For starters, there is a difference between denial and rejection.

Rejection happens if there was an issue with fee payment or if there was a problem with the petition (incomplete, inconsistent, or missing information). This is often an easy-to-fix situation that simply requires filing a new petition with the mistakes corrected.

Denial, on the other hand, means that the immigration officer reviewing your case decided that a fiancé(e) visa or spouse visa was not merited. This is likely the result of the interview. If your petition is denied, be sure to take the notice to your immigration attorney who will guide you on what steps to take next.

You may be able to file a motion to reconsider or reopen. In a motion to reconsider, you are appealing to the immigration officer to have them look at your case again. For this to be successful, you must be able to argue from a legal standpoint that the decision to deny your petition was incorrect. A motion to reopen is used if you have new evidence that could shed new light on your case and potentially change the outcome.

Lastly, you may also be able to appeal to a third party, the Administrative Appeals Office, if you believe that your case was incorrectly denied. However, the AAO does not often overturn the decisions of USCIS officers, so you will need to work with an attorney to make sure that appealing is a viable choice.

Your New Social Security Number

Once you become a lawful permanent resident in the U.S., you will need to acquire a social security number (SSN). You can request an SSN through your online immigrant visa application DS-260. If you did this, then you should receive your SSN card in the mail within 3 weeks of your arrival as a permanent resident.

If you did not request an SSN with your application, then you will need to visit a Social Security office and apply for a number there. You can only do this once you have a permanent address in the United States, however, and you will need to bring your passport or Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card) as well as your birth certificate. This will also apply for each person that is applying for SSNs along with you.

How VisaNation Law Group Attorneys Can Help

VisaNation Law Group marriage green card lawyers can help identify the best course of action, whether it be a fiancé(e) visa vs spouse visa.  They have successfully handled dozens of cases and have assisted hundreds of clients through every step of the process.

From completing the application forms correctly to accompanying you and your spouse to the final immigration interview, we’ve handled it all. The process of sponsoring a relative or soon-to-be spouse can be burdensome but will the help of a qualified attorney, you can stay on the right track. Get started today!

Tags: Fiancé visa