An Alien Registration Number—also referred to as an A-Number—is a seven-to-nine digit number assigned to green card holders by the Department of Homeland Security. Typically, nonimmigrants who are in the United States only temporarily don’t receive Alien Registration Numbers. However, nonimmigrant classes holding employment authorization documents or some other benefits are the exception with an A-Number.

Where Do I Find My Alien Registration Number?

Alien Number on Green Card (Form I-551)

If you were issued a green card/permanent resident card (Form I-551) after May 10, 2010, then you’ll be able to find your number on the front, next to your picture. The back of the green card also contains the alien number.

Older green cards, issued between 2004 and 2010, have the Alien Registration Number listed as “A#.”

Front of Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit)

If you do not have a permanent resident card but have a work permit (Employment Authorization Document), then you can find the Client Registration Number under the USCIS#. It will be look something like this: 000-000-001.

Visa Stamp In Passport

Your immigrant visa in your passport—also known as a visa stamp/visa foil—also contains your A-Number. You can locate it on the right-hand side below your case number.

Notice of Action

You may be able to locate your A-Number on some versions of the Notice of Action, Form I-797C, in the field “USCIS#.”

Immigrant Data Summary

You could locate your A-Number on the Immigrant Data Summary, which the U.S. embassy or consulate gave to you if you applied for your green card through consular processing at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Immigrant Fee Handout

If you applied for your green card via consular processing, then you can also find your Alien Registration Number on the USCIS Immigrant Fee handout that the immigration officer gave you. Your Alien Registration Number is located on the top right-hand side.

Alien Registration Number F.A.Q.s

Below are some of the most common questions we get regarding Alien Registration Numbers.

How Do I Check My Immigration Status with Alien Registration Number?

You can request your Alien Registration Number (A-Number) through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). If you cannot locate your Alien Registration Number, you can request it through the FOIA Request, Form G-639. Expect to wait at least eight weeks for USCIS to respond to your request for your alien number. Our team is more than happy to help you file this if you are unsure of your A-Number. Expect to wait at least eight weeks for USCIS to respond to your request for your alien number.

What is an Alien Registration Number Card?

Sometimes people used the term Alien Registration Number card interchangeably with a green card, permanent resident card, or visa. However, it’s important to know there is no actual Alien Registration Number card, just the number present on various immigration forms and documents of permanent residents and certain nonimmigrants.

How do I find my Alien Registration Number for my H-1B visa?

For H-1B applicants, once your employer files the PERM application and I-140, then USCIS will assign you an Alien Registration Number. You can find it on Form I-797C Notice of Action under Beneficiary Alien Number.

Are PERM Case Numbers the Same as Alien Registration Numbers?

No, these are not the same and should not be used interchangeably. The PERM Labor Certification Case number is 11 digits and assigned by the Department of Labor for PERM Labor Certification applications.

Which Number is My Alien Registration Number On My EAD?

On your Employment Authorization Document, the “USCIS#” is your Alien Registration Number. The section next to “Card#” is your EAD card number.

If I’m an H-4 Visa Holder, Do I Have an Alien Registration Number?

Unfortunately, H-4 holders do not get assigned an Alien Registration Number. Only the primary H-1B holder has one. The H-1B holder can find it on their I-140 approval.

Do F-1 Students Get Alien Registration Numbers?

F-1 visa holders with employment authorization get an Alien Registration Number, even if they are not trying to apply for a green card.

When Will I Get My Alien Registration Number If I’m Applying for a Marriage Green Card?

Marriage green card applicants going through consular processing get their A-Number at the consular interview. If you are already married to your U.S. citizen partner,  your Alien Registration Number will arrive roughly 30 days after filing the green card application (I-485). If you are married to a green card holder, you need to wait for your I-130 petition to be approved before you file your I-484 (green card application) and wait for your immigrant visa to become available. Your A-number will be sent to you roughly a year into that process.

What Do I Do If I Lost My Alien Registration Number?

If you can’t find your Alien Registration Number on any USCIS documents or visas you’ve been issued, then the Freedom of Information Act system is in place to help you get ahold of your immigration file, which includes the number. Alternatively, you can schedule an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office.

Is My A-Number the Same as My USCIS Case Number?

No, these are distinct numbers. Your USCIS case number (also called receipt number) is the one USCIS assigns to your application. The government uses the Alien Registration Number to identify you as a person. The USCIS case number is 13 digits and always starts with 3 letters and then 10 numbers. Your A-number (seven to nine digits) remains the same across your documents, visas, or green cards issued. If you apply for a green card and then apply for citizenship later on, the two applications you fill out will have different USCIS case numbers, but the same A-number will be listed. If you see “USCIS#” or “USCIS number” on documentation that doesn’t use the word “case” after it, then you should use your Alien Registration Number in that instance. As you can see, it can get quite confusing, so we highly recommended trusting your immigration case with an experienced attorney.

How Do I Check My Immigration Status?

You can check for your USCIS case status online here. You’ll need to enter your receipt number.

The receipt number is a unique 13-character identifier that USCIS provides for each application or petition it receives. The agency uses it to identify and track its cases.
The receipt number consists of three letters-for example, EAC, WAC, LIN, SRC, NBC, MSC or IOE-and 10 numbers. You can find it on notices of action USCIS has sent you.


Is My Social Security Number My Alien Registration Number?

No. This is another important distinction and can cause confusion. The Internal Revenue Service and Social Security office use the Social Security Number (SSN) to track a U.S. worker’s taxes, income, and other financial information. When you file your work permit in conjunction with your green card application, you can apply to get an SSN. Those with an SSN should keep it very confidential to avoid fraud and unauthorized credit applications.

Seek Assistance With Your Immigration Case

Get Started

Understanding the complexity of all the immigration abbreviations can be time consuming and make you prone to mistakes. For that reason, and many more, it's highly advised to have a qualified team of immigration experts work on your case to ensure all the proper documents are submitted along with the correct corresponding alien numbers, USCIS case numbers, and other immigration identifiers. We take great pride in our client's successes and ensure that all applications and supporting documents are prepared accurately and filed with USCIS in a timely and efficient manner.