EB-1 : Outstanding Professors and Researchers

Outstanding Professors and Researchers (OPR)

The Outstanding Professors and Researchers is a subcategory of the Employment-Based EB-1 immigrant visa.  OPR recipients have a highly acknowledged record in a scholarly or scientific field. Like the Extraordinary Ability (EA) and Multinational Manager/Executive categories, the OPR does not require a PERM Labor Certification. However, it does require a permanent job offer from a U.S. employer unlike the self-petitioned EB-1A cases. Unlike the EA category that covers many areas of study, the OPR job offer must solely come from scientific or scholarly fields. The U.S. employer would be the petitioner and the applicant would be the named beneficiary of the Outstanding Researcher Visa (OPR).

Commonly referred to as the outstanding researcher visa or professors visa, the applicant is required to receive sponsorship from the U.S. employer  throughout the total length of the petition admission process. For the Outstanding Professors and Researchers, the qualified employer must be a university or institution of higher education. The qualified U.S. employer is required to provide achievements in research and recognition. If instead the U.S. employer is a private company, the department of the employer is required to hire at least three scholars to contribute to research activities. The private employer must also have documented evidence of distinguished achievement.

Outstanding Researcher Green Card Requirements

The requirements in the outstanding researcher category are as follows:

  • Have the ability to exhibit evidence of your international achievements.
  • Must have a minimum of three years of teaching or research experience.
  • The intent of entry in the United States must be purely based on receiving tenure, tenure track, or presenting comparable research at a university or another qualified institution.

Outstanding Professors and Researchers (OPR) Documentation

To receive approval for an outstanding researcher visa, you must provide the following documentation:

  • Must provide evidence of your international acknowledgments within your field.
  • Applicant must have at least two of the accepted articles of evidence.
    • Documented proof of significant awards and prizes in field
    • Membership in prestigious organization associated with applicant’s field. Must demonstrate achievements within organization.
    • Recognition by others in the form of professional or media publication within the applicant’s field.
    • Created significant, original scholarly or scientific research to field.
    • Published scholarly books, articles, or journals with international circulation.

Outstanding Researcher Visa Example

Here is one example of a job offers for the Outstanding Researcher Visa (OPR):

Dr. Jones has been working in the medical field for over 12 years. This letter is an official offer for a permanent research position as an associate as the Chesapeake Medical University. His research and contributions to the field of medicine, specifically neuro-plasticity, have been thoroughly documented and published in reputable organizations.

Dr. Jones without a doubt qualifies for the outstanding researcher visa because he has the minimum 3 years of experience , has the official employment offer, and a presence within the industry. 

Outstanding Professors and Researchers FAQs

Q. Who can an EB-1 visa holder help within their family? 

An EB-1 or EB-2 visa holder can provide perm. residency status to their spouse as well as minor children (unmarried and under the age of 21). The spouse and children who qualify will have the ability to work in the U.S.

Q. Who is able to be an EB-1 or EB-2 employer? 

The EB-1 visa petitioner should be employed by one of the following:

  • Institution of higher education (i.e., University)
  • An private institute or department that provides employment for at least 3 full-time researchers.

Q. What is the waiting period for an E-2 Visa holder? 

Individuals who receive lawful permanent resident status via an EB-1 or EB-2 visa typically become naturalized citizens in a pan of five years. If you intend to take this path, however, it’s recommended to first consult an EB-1 lawyer.

How Our Immigration Lawyers Can Help

  • If you are unsure if you qualify under the Outstanding Professors and Researchers category, our EB-1 lawyers can assist you in determining if you have the necessary evidence and experience.
  • Our immigration lawyers will aid you in gathering the required evidence and documentation to file obligatory material.

For additional information on the EB-1 Visa, please refer back to the main employment immigration page.